The update of Ajax web ui component dhtmlxGrid to version 1.4 was announced today. dhtmlxGrid is a cross-platform, feature rich, easy-to-use data grid that delivers spreadsheet functionality in a web application. The grid control enables developers to quickly implement editable data grids with lots of advanced features without complex coding.
The major update enhancements include:
– enableAutoWidth method –The grid can automatically adjust its size (height and width) to the size of the page it’s placed on. The grid takes all the available space on page and smoothly changes its size when page is resized.
– updateFromXML method – If grid content is changed in XML on server side, the changed data can be automatically updated on client, and only rows that were changed/added/deleted will be processed and reloaded. This greatly increases grid performance in cases of large data grids which are to be updated regularly to display actual data. The feature works in grid extension dhtmlxTreeGrid and with Smart Rendering mode.
– Clipboard support for FF – Previously introduced in version 1.3 clipboard support now works not only in IE, but in FF as well. Block of cells can be copied and pasted it into desktop application (MS Excel, Text Editor etc.) via the clipboard.
– Safari support – Version 1.4 brings better Safari support. Some limitations in the work of grid in Safari were eliminated. Now all the events as well as context menu work correctly on Apple’s browser.
– Extra exCells – Some new powerful cell editors (exCells) were added to the grid package, e.g. email, password, native dhtmlx calendar (besides YUI calendar that has been used), direct date editing, text editor with controlled string length, editor for numeric values with validation capability, time editor, etc.)
– TreeGrid update – dhtmlxTreeGrid, an extension of grid control which displays tables with hierarchical structure, was completely recoded to improve its performance and stability.
dhtmlxGrid is available under GNU GPL (Standard edition) and Commercial/Enterprise licenses ($149/$449). More information and live examples are available on grid homepage.