We at DHTMLX always give serious consideration to the needs and desires of our customers. The appearance of swimlanes in the DHTMLX Diagram library is a vivid example of responding to the requests of the web development community. It became a killer-feature of the latest major update of our diagramming component.
The concept of swimlanes is widely used in various modeling techniques as an instrument for organizing different activities into separate categories. For instance, this visual tool is popular in Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN) and Unified Modeling Language (UML).
Possibilities of using swimlanes with DHTMLX Diagram
- Expand and collapse swimlanes.
- Make use of a context menu for adding, reordering, or deleting rows and columns of swimlanes.
- Change text content of swimlanes on the fly via inline editing. All you have to do is just double-click on the needed part and introduce necessary changes.
Apart from that, swimlanes are also available in the DHTMLX Diagram editor by default. In the editor mode, you can take advantage of the following capabilities:
- Choose a predefined swimlane template in the left panel of the editor and simply drag and drop it in the grid area for building different types of diagrams faster.
- Add rows and columns, copy, or remove swimlanes with the help of a toolbar.
- Add any of the predefined diagram shapes or groups of shapes into a swimlane from the left panel of the editor.
- Specify the look and feel of swimlanes and their elements according to your needs using multiple editing options in the right panel. For instance, it is possible to change the header’s name and position, switch on/off subheaders and play around with different style settings.
- Create your own swimlanes and include them in the left panel of the DHTMLX Diagram editor.